Tuesday, January 5, 2010

January 4th

So today was the day that I decided to go ahead with this challenge. I wanted to break in the real birding for the year at one of the several great local sites near me. Originally that was going to be Oxley Creek Common, one of the best birding spots in Brisbane (possibly THE best in my opinion). However incoming weather made a long, exposed walk a risky move. Instead I headed out to Gold Creek Reservoir, a rainforest and sclerophyll woodland walk in Brookfield. My main target here was White-eared Monarch, a bird I thoroughly failed to find. Didn't even hear! Despite this disappointment, I did have an enjoyable walk, with a couple of nice species, though nothing particularly hard to find. Highlights of the morning were a White-bellied Sea Eagle circling high over the dam, and a Spectacled Monarch and Little Shrike-Thrush skulking by the roadside. Wonga Pigeon by the side of the road and White-headed Pigeon flying overhead were also nice gets. I nearly saw an Azure Kingfisher (I heard it call as it streaked past behind me), but I'm comfortable I'll get that species easily and soon. I also spent some time looking for Bush Hen and a calling Cicadabird, but missed both.

Total birds to date: 49

No comments:

Post a Comment