Monday, March 22, 2010

Powerful Owl

So as I write this, I have a Powerful Owl calling from a tree in my front yard. Words can't describe how happy this makes me, for a number of reasons. Reason one: I didn't have Powerful Owl on my year list yet. Reason two: I didn't have Powerful Owl on my area list yet, let alone my yard list. Reason three: Powerful Owls are awesome! This is one of those weird curve balls nature throws at you sometimes. There is no habitat for Powerful Owls in my area. We do, however, have good connectivity via Cubberla Creek all the way to Mt Coot-tha, where there has been a resident breeding pair of Powerful Owls for many years. Regardless, I would never have put this bird on a list of possible species that could turn up in my area. Honestly I would have expected to get Barn Owl before I got Powerful Owl. Nonetheless, I have photos of a Powerful Owl in a tree in my yard, and I can still hear it calling outside. Amazing!

Total birds to date: 294

2 comments:

  1. Awesome record. How powerful it really is. You could manage to get a cool image in the night :)

    Cheers, Szimi
    --
    http://web.me.com/gyorgy.szimuly/SzimiStyles_Birding_Experience_EN/Blog/Blog.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Outstanding photograph of the owl and a very interesting post.

    ReplyDelete